Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Truth Behind Adjustable Dumbbells: What Are They and How Do They Work?


 If you're like I was just a few years ago, I had no idea what adjustable dumbbells were, how they worked or why everyone was making such a fuss about them. Yep- that was me, completely clueless to the massive following these simple dumbbells have created. Free weights that can be adjusted to different sizes anywhere from 5 to 95 lbs. But before I get into all that, let's talk about where the idea for adjustable dumbbells was born.

Let's start with the word “dumbbell”. It didn't come about due to the fact that weight lifters are stupid, (which many have believed). It actually started in Tudor, England. Athletes would use athletes church bell clappers to strengthen their upper arms and body. They would remove the clapper of the bell making them “dumb” as in “silent”. Viola- the dumbbell was born and it just kind of stuck. Athletes have been using dumbbell-like weights since ancient Greece. So how did they turn into being “adjustable”? That idea is not so old.

There is debate about who first invented the adjustable or to be more accurate the selectorized dumbbell back in the early 1990's. Technically, an adjustable dumbbell is a metal bar with different sized weights that spin on and off. A selectorized dumbbells has a dial or mechanism allowing you to adjust the weights. Selectorized dumbbells were designed for a home gym since they take up less space.

There are some top brands and models of “adjustable” or “selectorized” dumbbells that stand out in my opinion. I have chosen these based on price, ease of use, durability and design.

  1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbbells

  2. PowerBlock Classic Adjustable 5 to 45-Pounds per Set

  3. PowerBlock Elite 90 Adjustable 5 to 90-Pounds per Dumbbell Set

  4. IronMaster 75lb Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbell System

  5. Life Core Corebell 5-55-Pound Adjustable Dumbbell System

I hope you enjoyed learning more about adjustable or should I say selectorized dumbbells like I have. Give one of these a try and tell me how you like it.

5 comments:

  1. I completely did not know Neoprene Dumbbells 10 lb equipment but now everyday i do exercise for making my muscle strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome to run and time consuming thus I appreciate when I see well written material. Your time isn’t going to waste with your posts. Thanks so much and stick with it No doubt you will definitely reach your goals! Have a great day!


    bowflexselecttech55

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your blog post about adjustable dumbbells. I completely did not know Neoprene Dumbbells 10 lb equipment but now everyday i do exercise for maki. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. Blogs are troublesome
    Source link:Brondell Water Filter

    ReplyDelete